I happen to be one of those weirdos who likes board games. I find (most of) them incredibly fun and while my single friends have long started scoffing at my married friends' 'game nights'- I've been secretly looking forward to having those in my future. I just like to play games.
However, my Girlfriends and I have found a game that everyone likes to play. And it's kind of become our 'thing' that we reserve for special events or girls' night in. I mean... it's a way to taste new wines while playing a game and saving some money. It's perfect... and I figured it was due-time to share the wealth.
Behold.. Blind Wine Tasting.
The rules are easy-peasy:
1) Everyone arrives at the party with a foil-wrapped/covered bottle of wine thus making it indiscernible from its competition. Even more, once they are all lined-up, you shouldn't even be able to find your own wine in the mix.
2) The Hostess presents the players with an evaluation sheet/playing card such as below.
|Sorry for the grainy, horrible iPhone photo.|
3) The Hostess then begins the pouring. You start with the first wine in line. As you imbibe, be sure to score each wine on the various categories: A 10 is good, a 1 is bad.
4) Taste all of the wines in this manner (these are tasting pours, not full glasses) and enjoy the fun in discussing your thoughts, writing your decisions and making fun of the gross wines.
5) After you've made it through all of the wines- the Hostess will ask anyone if they want to retaste a wine or two to make a final decision. Those pours are then made.
|The Hostess with the Mostess when we all played a few weeks ago|
6) When all tastings are done, tally up the scores and share with the group.
7) Once you've decided that a certain wine wins with the most points, unveil the wine and the girl who brought the winning bottle is the winner!
8) A small prize such as a candle, a notebook, etc. is awarded to the winning girl.
9)Subsequently, you get to reveal the other wines and determine which you loved and which you hated- and finding out if yours is one of the offenders! It's beyond fun. Not to mention when I played just a few weeks ago, my Girlfriend and I each brought the exact same bottle of wine- it was a hilarious discovery upon reveal.
10) Enjoy the rest of the good wine with your girlfriends.
(Fun game hint: Throw a bottle of cheap, cheap wine in there such as Chuck Shaw to mix up the tastings-you'll be surprised by how much different it tastes. Not that I plan to stop purchasing Chuck Shaw evvvah... it's still nice to know.)
Happy Blind Wine Tasting!