Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
Days like we had today just deflate me emotionally. They bum me out. They put me in a bad mood. They often make it hard to focus on work. I mean just- what the what? Life is so unbelievably precious and fleeting. To think that anyone is robbed of it due to someone else's convoluted justifications is overwhelmingly tragic.
But I know I'm preaching to the choir. I know these events bum you all out too.
So on days like today, I find it helps to notice a few things that soften the blow of a Hard, Feel Sad & Helpless day:
1. Moms: I took PTO to help my Mom out with something for a couple hours. And just like old times, she sent me off after with a sack lunch. So precious I could just cry.
2. The Onion. It's always on point- especially about the mindset of "Beliebers".
3. Coffee in the morning | Tea in the evening. Comfort drinks allllll day every day (and think of all the calories being burned with my pee breaks every 20 seconds).
4. My Lucy & Ricki desk calendar: neverending source of joy.
5. The peace and quiet. After ensuring that we heard the latest news on the incident this evening, I asked that we turn the TV off and just have a quiet night of reflection and chatting. It felt nice. I mean really- radio? Who needs a radio?
6. Mister Rogers: Every time he resurfaces I'm beside myself with his kindness.
7. Keep Calm & Carry On: The famous quote that you see every.single.damn.place.you.go, including my Living Room...
|My Living Room on Left, My New Motto on Right|
But real talk: I understand why everyone likes the message- and I strive to follow it as much as I can shortly after an event such as this. Because to do anything else would mean you let them win.
Wishing you no worries for the rest of your days!