There's a lot of theories and thoughts about how it "takes a village to raise a child". And while I hate to diminish such a beautiful, poignant and true sentiment ... I kinda want to be like "... you know what takes a bigger village? Getting me through work weeks." Because THAT my friends, takes some serious effort on the part of my forever and ever, office essentials that are able to make the concrete jungles we call home all week, a little bit more manageable:
$#!% I Always Have At My Desk
- L'oréal Volumnious Mascara - Fave lash buddy ever.
- My Medicine Squad: Advil, Tampons, Midol (crafted by angels) & Dayquil - Covers a whole lot of bases in one swoop [Not pictured but also important: Deodorant].
- Extra set of earring studs - Great for a pinch happy hour or meeting. And with the low cost of a pair of decoy earrings, no excuse to not have some ready to go on a day where you were a bit blah'er that morning.
- Sunglasses - Duh.
- An Umbrella - People always say Portlanders don't carry Umbrellas and to that I say BS. Especially as a working girl, one is necessary during those long city blocks.
- Lipstick - Because there's no better 20-second facelift before a meeting.
- Extra Pantyhose - Perhaps the most important item I have at my desk. They have been the glorious understudy to many dismal headliners on more than one occasion.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste - So fresh and so clean, clean.
- Pashmina - Scarves can seriously hide a multitude of sins. From a faulty button to a spill to a wrinkle: They are the Swiss Army Knife of accessories.
- Tea - What would I do at work without tea? I drink it all day long. All day long. It's nice to have something warm to sip, it's always so refreshing and helps keep the snacking at a minimum.
- A piece of fruit - Though mine generally is not bright pink, I always have a piece of fruit on hand for a quick bite and bit of sugar.
- Hand Sanitizer - Cold season. Enough said.
- Comb, Dry Shampoo & Bobby Pins - Again, because it's easy to forget that a client is coming in to the office in 15 minutes on day 3 of your hair.
- MAC Studio Fix Powder- Bless this product.
- iPhone + Charger - Zone out music and videos all day, err' day.
- Black Eyeliner - Quick little bit of pop.
- Heels AND Sneakers - If you are a city commuter like me, do not wreck your heels!!! I always have both sets of shoes with me. One for the trek to and from and one for when I'm working.
- Clear Nail Polish - The Plan A before you bust open your emergency second pair of pantyhose.
- Headphones - Nothing says "Don't bother me, I'm working" like a big, ol' set of them. And nothing helps you get your work done quicker either.
What $#!% do you need to get through the work day?